Haven’t we all been there? We move into a new house or apartment and somehow the old furniture just doesn’t look good anymore.
The rooms are too big or too small for the furniture and it looks either too full or too empty.
All the furniture is pushed against the wall and the wall color is off. It just doesn’t look good, right?
Most of the people just give up because they don’t know what to do. And seriously, it is not easy if you don’t have a natural decorating talent.
But giving up means you live in a house you don’t love and you don’t feel at home. So please don’t give up, because there are easy tips to eliminate the worst decorating mistakes.
10 decorating mistakes to avoid with these easy tips
But if you are trying to avoid these 10 Decorating Mistakes you should be on the right path to a successful interior.
You are not sure if you know your style or you just want to be more confident about how to apply it then take the design quiz.
10 Decorating Mistakes to avoid
Check out the list of 10 Decorating Mistakes to avoid to help you feel good about your home
Don’t paint the rooms first.
1 Don’t paint the rooms first. Be sure you know what furniture will go in this room and select a paint color from a fabric or an art work you are going to use. The paint color has to work with the furniture and picking out a wall color before you buy the furniture isn’t a good thing.
The chandelier is way up too high
2. The Chandelier is way up too high. This is a common mistake and looks so bad. A Chandelier is way up too high, if you can’t see it when you enter a room.
“Hang a chandelier approximately 30 to 34 inches over a table with an 8 foot ceiling height. If your ceiling is higher than 8 feet, mount the chandelier an additional 3 inches higher for each foot of ceiling” says Wolberg, Lighting Design and Electrical Supply.
The curtains are too short
3. Curtains are too short and the curtain rod is hung too low. Make sure the curtains cover the whole wall from top to bottom. That means, the curtain rod is about 10 inches below the ceiling and the curtain touches the floor.
Furniture is placed on one wall
4. Most of the furniture is placed on one wall. Cut your room visionary into 4 equal quarters. Every quarter should be filled with the same amount or weight of furniture otherwise the room is ‘hanging’ to one side. Which means, don’t have all your furniture in one corner of the room and on the other side of the room is a small drawer or only a chair. The room should be equally furnished.
No focal point
The wall color doesn’t fit
6. The house you bought was already freshly painted but the wall color doesn’t fit to your furniture. Well, I would say you have to paint it again. Nothing worse than a wall color that drives you crazy and doesn’t fit to your style and furniture.
Rug is too small
7. The rug is too small. I often see this when I enter a room. The couch doesn’t really fit onto the rug. At least the front of the couch should be placed on the rug to give the room a larger feel.
The dining room table fits but the chairs are off the rug. A too small rug makes the room small and look awkward.
Seating area doesn’t work
8. All of the furniture is pushed against the wall. Somehow it feels right to have the couch against a wall in order to create space. But especially in a living room you want to create intimate seating areas.
Having one sofa against the wall and another sofa or chairs opposite from it in the middle of the room makes the flow often so much better and the conversation going.
No accent colors
9. Use the same color throw pillows as the couch. You need one or two accent colors and this looks the best when you have different size pillows in different accent colors on your couch. You don’t want it to look boring, you want to create atmosphere.
Don’t forget to add some plants, either a colorful flower bouquet or an indoor plant. Adding greenery creates a lively atmosphere.
No patterns or fabrics
10. No patterns or fabrics, no colors or decor. A room lives with different decors, patterns, textiles. It looks so much more interesting and welcoming when decor and patterns don’t fit perfectly together.
Summary of 10 Decorating Mistakes to avoid
Often it feels overwhelming to create a good flow in your home or apartment. But if you just try to avoid these 10 common mistakes you will get a feeling for scale and color and you will love your home.
It just takes some practice and maybe moving furniture around a little bit. Creating a pretty home is a process. And the good thing about it is, most of the decisions we make and we are not so happy with it afterwards can be changed easily. So don’t be scared, apply one step after the other.
Download the list 10 decorating mistakes to avoid
If you have a question, just contact me. I am glad to answer your questions but I know you can do this. So follow these easy tips and I am sure you are getting to where you want it to be.
See you next week,
Want to remember this? Pin ’10 decorating mistakes to avoid’ to your favorite Pinterest board.