10 ways to update your RV fast and easy
So you bought this dated looking RV and now you need some kind of inspiration on how to get started with the remodel?
Or your RV has been used for quite some time now and you are desperately looking to update the inside and freshen it up.
You have been thinking about this remodeling project for a long time but somehow you are a little scared to start with it?
But now the time is right and you are looking for some tips and inspiration how to remodel a Camper.
Remodeling your Camper can be a whole lot of fun
Especially if you know what you want and you know what you are doing. It all depends on how much work you want to put in it and if you have a plan, how and where to start.
Always a good starting point is if you know your color scheme.
You don’t have a huge budget to work with?
If you bought this RV on a budget and don’t want to spend a lot of money on the makeover, follow these tips. I updated my Travel Trailer for $ 200. In the meantime, it is maybe $ 300 with wallpaper and curtains and more decor I added. You can remodel your Camper also on a budget if you shop around a little bit.
Watch this short video (just 1 Minute) and get some inspiration what you can do: 10 ways to update your RV fast and easy
Video How to update an RV
Here are the 10 ways to update your RV fast and easy
Top 10 steps you can do to update your RV/Camper/5th Wheel/Motorhome:
You don’t need to do all of them, but pick the ones which make the most sense for your rig.
Table of Content:
- Paint the walls in a fresh and light color. First, remove the wallpaper border then clean the walls with warm water and detergent.
- Update the flooring with peel and stick vinyl tiles.
- Don’t like the glass inserts or your cabinets? You can paint them, add a peel and stick wallpaper or replace them by adding chicken wire.
- Paint the kitchen cabinets and doors in a fresh and light color. Or you can decide to use a darker color for the lower cabinets and a lighter color for the upper cabinets.
- Add a backsplash on your kitchen wall.
- Update the light fixtures – add LED light bulbs, cover the socket with some decor, or get a new light fixture.
- Take the valances off and add a curtain rod and curtains.
- Decide on an accent wall and add a colorful wallpaper.
- Cover the dated Jack Knife Sofa with a slipcover.
- Add pretty decor like a rug, pillows, wall stickers, a colorful throw, a plant.
Is this picture similar to how your Camper looks like? Brown cabinets, beige wall color, brown couch, brown valances…? Is brown your favorite color? No? Mine neither. This is why I updated our little Travel Trailer in happy and bright colors. It makes me feel good while we are on the road.
Let’s start with more detailed information what you can do to update your dated looking Camper
10 ways to update your RV fast and easy
- If you decide on a fresh wall color it will give the dark look an immediate update. Check out the color schemes which work well for smaller spaces like the inside of an RV. You don’t know how to paint and what paint to use? Here are all the tips you need to know how to paint the walls.
- The linoleum floor looked pretty decent and therefore I didn’t remove it before I added new vinyl peel and stick tiles on top. It makes such a difference if you add a new color. If you don’t have the time or funds to replace it right now, add a pretty rug on top to cover the floor up as much as possible.
- The glass inserts in some cabinets look pretty awful. So just cover them. I painted mine pink, if painting doesn’t work for you, apply contact paper or peel and stick wallpaper on the inside of the cabinets.
- If the kitchen cabinets are a little beaten up, paint them! I used Milk Paint and didnt’ had to sand or prime before painting. I also used Milk Paint to paint the bathroom door. I painted the countertops with the same paint and added 3 layers of Top Coat to protect the paint from scratches. It has been 2,5 years and it still looks good.
If you need a step by step guide then get the guide ‘How to update the dated looking interior of your RV/Camper’ with all the links and tips you need to know.
Here are more tips 10 ways to update your RV fast and easy
5. Adding a backsplash is a really easy way to add some color and update the kitchen area easily. There are so many different peel and stick tiles available, I am sure you will find something which will fit and look great in your kitchen. And it is really easy to apply too. You need a utility knife to cut the tiles as you need them to apply on the wall. That’s it.
6. Update the light fixtures. If you want to keep the existing light fixtures, replace the light bulbs with LED lights. LED lights don’t heat up as much and make the place so much brighter.
There is also a way to make these lights look much prettier without replacing them. Or you get a new light fixture if you can’t stand them.
7. Curtain coverings are normally dark and ugly. Therefore I took the valances off asap and just left the blinds up. After some time I added a curtain rod and a cafe curtain and it looks so cool. I didn’t even had to add new screw holes for the curtain rod, I was able to use the holes from the valances.
8. I LOVE WALLPAPER and this is such an easy way to add some color and pattern. If you don’t feel like painting the whole interior of your camper, just decide on an accent wall to update the look. There are so many different patterns which work very well in a camper. Just check for the pattern repeat so you don’t waste a lot of wallpaper. Here is all the information you need about peel and stick wallpaper.
9. This is an easy task. If you have a dated looking Jack Knife Sofa you don’t want to replace with a new sleeper sofa – or can’t replace – just get a slip cover and cover the dated looking fabric. A slipcover is also easy to remove and wash if it is dirty from the kids or pets or the husband…
10. Finally add decor. There is so much you can do. A runner in front of your sofa or kitchen area, fresh pillows, a throw, some cool stickers/decals on the wall, posters or other decor like macrame, herbs or plants.
Want to know how to pick the right wall paint for your RV? Get the free mini-course here and know what you are doing.
Before and after pictures of the Camper remodel
Is this the color scheme of you rig right now? Yes, this was how our Travel Trailer looked when we bought it almost 3 years ago. Not very inviting.
But this is how our little Camper looks now after the remodel:This picture shows the second remodel with a little color change:
Summary of 10 ways to update your RV fast and easy
No matter what you pick out of these 10 tips to update your RV/Camper, every single one is making an impact and will make your Camper look so much better.
So don’t waste any more time, just start with the one you feel most comfortable with and work your way up to number 10. It will be so much fun seeing this transformation from dark to bright and colorful. You can do this.
See you on the road
Want to remember this post ’10 ways to update your RV fast and easy’. Just pin this image to your favorite Pinterest board.