Snowshoe, WV – the best mountain spot for awesome skiing and family fun and best-kept secret. Go to Snowshoe WV for some serious family fun in summer and winter.
He laughed and giggled all the time and I just couldn’t stop looking at his happy face. This made the drive up to the mountains so worth it. He was not even 3 years old but had so much fun putting his skis on and driving down the mountain over and over again.
The first couple of times I put a rope around his waist so I could keep him under control, but just two days later he was skiing down that mountain like a pro. This little kid had so much fun on the skis, we loved every minute of it watching him how he got better and better.
Many awesome memories were made by going skiing with Sean. We always had the best times going skiing together no matter where we went around the globe.
We went to Austria a couple of times, to Lake Tahoe, CA, Breckenridge, CO, and of course Snowshoe, WV, the closest go-to option for us in the last years.
Watch the video
Snowshow, WV is definitely one of the best destinations where we went skiing because we booked in/and out skiing at an amazing skiing territory. Especially if you are on the mountain with teenagers, you want them to be independent and you can come and go as you wish.
We could leave in the morning without checking bus schedules, if one of us didn’t feel like getting up early, he could sleep in, or if a bathroom or lunch break was needed, the condo was right there on the slopes.
How much snow is at Snowshoe, WV?
Snowshoe enjoys an average snowfall of 180 inches and while much of the East Coast is known for heavier wet snow, Snowshoe is known for its surprisingly light, dry powder. Should there be a lack of snow, there is an amazing crew of snowmakers on this mountain.
Snowshoe is a great vacation spot in winter and summer
Snowshoe, WV is a great place in winter, but also a great place during summer. If you are a mountain biker, check out the awesome trails. The Mercedes-Benz World Cup is being held right there because Snowshoe Bike Park is featuring one of the largest trail systems in the East.
Snowshoe Bike Park is recognized as one of the best in the US. With legendary berms, jumps drops, and flow for every appetite… all you have to do is buckle up, drop in and hold on tight.
If you need more information, go to www.snowshoemtn.com.
There is so much to do right there in the mountains. Here is a link for summer and winter activities.
What can you do in Snowshoe, WV?:
Here are the Top 13 Family-Friendly Activities you can do at Snowshoe Mountain:
Snowshoe WV – the best mountain for awesome skiing with the family (plus 13 best things to do):
- go skiing – with over 244 total ski resort acres, 12 lifts, 61 runs in total, and a 1.5-mile long run in the terrain there is plenty of skiing to do. The best skiing time is from December until mid-March. The elevation is 4848′ to the summit, vertical drop of 1,500′. Night skiing is located at Silver Creek.
- go snow tubing – located right next to Silver Creek
- snowmobiling – phone (877) 441-4fun or go to www.wvtourism.com
- offroad RZR tours – phone (877) 441-4fun or go to http://www.wvtourism.com
- go hiking for example find the Narnia Lamp Post Spot
- go golfing at West Virginia Golf Resort at Raven Golf Club http://www.golfpass.com
- rent an e-bike
- horseback riding Autumn Breeze Stables http://www.wvtrailrides.com
- go on a scenic lift ride
- enjoy the lake
- fairy diddle disc golf at http://www.snowshoemtn.com
- enjoy the spa located in the village with 3,600 square feet of pure bliss. http://www.snowshoemtn.com
- go shopping in the mountain village
4848 Festival happens in July in Snowshoe
Every July there is the legendary 4848 Festival – a festivacation experience, where you get everything a music festival has to offer plus a mountain resort vacation. Enjoy multiple days of live music, crowd performers, craft beer, and delicious food. Also don’t forget about the Wanderlust Festival in Snowshoe,
Also don’t forget about the Wanderlust Festival in Snowshoe, Yoga, Music, Food, and Nature.
Start off at sunrise with stand-up paddleboard yoga on Shaver’s Lake, nestled in the local Appalachian mountains. Dry off, then invigorate your mind with an inspiring Speakeasy talk, grab a bite from a delicious local food truck, or learn to fly in an acro yoga class. Enjoy the night in the beats of three dueling DJs.
What to bring to Snowshoe, WV when you go skiing:
Preparation is key. Plan in advance so you don’t need to run around and spend precious vacation time looking for gear if you are renting. Check at home if everything is in order and if the ski boots still fit.
Are you bringing your own gear?
- Check if the skis/snowboards need to be waxed.
- Do all the clothes still fit and are they still functional?
- How about the ski boots? Do they fit well?
- Do you find all the ski gloves? Do you have an extra pair?
- Do you need to book ski lessons? Book them in advance.
- Book your ski tickets in advance.
Are you renting your gear?
- If you are renting, book your gear in advance.
- Don’t forget to also rent ski clothes or buy them in advance.
- If you need lessons book them in advance.
What else is there to consider:
- Are you planning on using a locker?
- Did you book the condo already? Condos book fast, especially over the weekends.
- How about the tickets/passes? Did you book them online already?
- Get a map of the mountain so you know where the rental places are. Know the best restaurants and where are you going to book your condo? In Silver Creek or the village?
- Check the weather forecast (although the weather is unpredictable in the mountains)
- Bring enough clothes for cold and wet weather.
Everything you need to know about Snowshoe, WV in short:
What you need to know about Snowshoe, WV:
Snowshoe covers 11,000 acres in the Appalachian Mountain Range and includes the second-highest point in West Virginia at 4848′. Snowshoe Mountain Resort, touted as the best ski resort and mountain biking destination in the region, delivers a phenomenal summertime and wintertime outdoor playground.
No matter if you are a skier, a hiker, a mountain biker, or a relaxer, there are things to do for everyone.
Some of the best restaurants are in the mountain village in Snowshoe, WV
It is vacation time and you want to relax, enjoy and have fun with the family. You don’t want to spend every evening in the kitchen cooking meals for the kids. Therefore check out some of the best restaurants in WV:
- Appalachia Kitchen phone for reservations (304) 572-2030
- The Junction Ale House phone for reservations (304) 572-5800
- Sunset Cantina phone for reservations
- The Pizza Slice
- Foxfire Grille
- Old Spruce Brewing in Silver Creek
Why we bought a condo in Snowshoe WV
Because we love to be up in the mountains so much, we decided to buy a condo right on the slopes.
We bought a 1-bedroom, that sleeps up to 6 people (1 Queen bed, bunk beds, sleeper sofa). For us, this was a dream come true. We can drive up to Snowshoe, WV whenever we want to go, bring friends and family and just have a great time.
Our condo is perfect for families. It is in the Silver Creek Lodge, right next to night skiing, the beginner slope, and tubing. So perfect for smaller kids and beginner skiers. Silver Creek has an indoor/outdoor pool, whirlpool, and sauna.
The bus runs every couple of minutes right in front of Silver Creek to bring you to the village.
If you can’t wait to make a reservation and make memories with your family, you can book it right here:
Here are some pictures of our condo that I decorated to feel comfortable and cozy. Silver Creek has an indoor and outdoor pool, whirlpool, a sauna, shops, and a sports bar. If you are exhausted after a long day of skiing, just go downstairs and relax in the pool.
What do you think? Do you love it as much as we do?
Check the available times and book the condo for you and the family and have a great vacation. It won’t get boring up in the mountains.
Want to stay in touch? Subscribe to my newsletter about RVing and updating dated-looking homes.
Camping is also available in Snowshoe WV
Right next to the Silver Creek Lodge is a parking lot for RVs. You have to get a parking pass from your rental agent and you will be allowed to park in the Blue Spruce Parking Areas. If you have been thinking this is a great destination, check it out, it is really worth it.
Another travel tip is Asheville in NC. Such a fun little city and so much to do there. Check it out right here:
Hope to see you on the slopes, can’t wait for the next ski season.
If you have questions, just leave a reply in the comments.