Did you buy an RV and now you are wondering how to make it look homier and brighter fast and also affordable? You don’t have all the tools and you don’t want to ask anybody for help? Here are some easy tips you can do easily all on your own.
And all of these updates cost between $ 0 and $ 50. If you don’t want to invest a lot of money updating your dated looking camper, start right here:
Easy tips to make your RV look pretty
There is no need to ask anyone for help, no need for heavy tools or heavy lifting, you can do it all on your own. And the best thing is, these
5 affordable RV updates you can do on your own in a couple of hours.
If you are interested in what I am talking about, let’s start with the most effective update:
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you click these links I may get a small commission. It won’t cost you anything, but it helps me to run this site. I only promote products and services that I think are great and helpful. Also read my disclosure policy.
Remove the wallpaper border
In addition to the dark wallpaper unfortunately every single RV I have seen so far has an even darker wallpaper border. A border doesn’t make a wall look nicer, it makes it look smaller.
So, take it off. If you are lucky the wallpaper border comes off easy and you just have to peel it off, if you have some trouble to get it off, here are some tips:
- The first tip is to use a blow dryer or heat gun and warm the adhesive up. Warming up the adhesive should make it possible to peel the border off without any problem. Still no luck?
- Try TSP or deglosser. Use it as directed, either product is good to use.
- You might also be lucky with GooGone spray, this spray is made especially for adhesive removal. Spray it on the border, let it sit as directed, and then peel it off.
- Another option is, that you buy pretty wallpaper and cut a border a little wider than the one on your walls. Just cover the old border with the new one. Or you buy a new pretty wallpaper border and cover the old one up.
- The cost for removing your wallpaper border is between $ 0 and $ 15.
5 affordable RV updates you can easily do on your own
Remove or paint the window valances.
So, why would you need a dark brown window valance in a camper? Not sure why RV manufacturers cover windows up with a dark box, but well, what do I know.
I took mine off because I didn’t like the look of it and just left the blinds on the windows. I added curtain rods and curtains to make it look nicer and brighter.
Tips how to update the windows:
- The easiest tip would be to leave the valances mounted and then just paint the fabric with special fabric paint. Yes, you can actually paint it. I kept the valance over my door and painted it with chalk paint. You can also use milk paint or fabric paint.
- The cost for chalk paint or milk paint (select the color you like and fits your decor) is around $ 15. Use a brush to apply the paint. Cost altogether approx. $ 17.
The other option is to take the valances down.
- Use a screwdriver and hunt for the screws (they are hidden behind the fabric). Depending on the screws you need the appropriate screwdriver to unscrew the valances. Make sure you check the screw first before you buy a screwdriver if you don’t have the correct one already. Cost around $10 for a set.
- Remove the valances and add a curtain rod. Measure the window and order the correct size curtain rod. This one is expandable so it fits various size windows. It is also lightweight. Try to use the screw holes from the valances when mounting the curtain rod.
- Curtain rods cost around $ 15.
- Add pretty curtains and your RV is going to look so much better.
- Curtains cost up to $ 20 or you check for cheaper versions at thrift stores or Dollar stores.
Do you need more information about window treatments: How to update curtains in your RV
5 affordable RV updates you can easily do on your own
Tip Number 3 is to update the countertops
Do the countertops look ugly? But no, no need to replace them if you know what to do!
- You can paint them
- You can add contact paper to cover the look
- You can spray paint the plastic sink and countertop.
Did you paint your valances? Use the same paint to paint the countertops. Use a brush and a foam roller to get a smooth look.
First step: clean the countertop well, use TSP or deglosser. Then use a brush and add the paint around all the edges and trims and the sink. Now use a small foam roller and roll the paint on. Add at least 2 layers of paint. Let dry in between. Let the paint dry for a couple of hours then add a top coat (3 layers) to protect the paint.
Depending on if you have the paint and brush already, this will be around $40. The most expensive item is the topcoat, but you can re-use the topcoat if you decide to paint your cabinets now or in the future.
Do the same procedure if your dinette table looks ugly. Use the same paint and add the same topcoat for protection. Don’t forget to add at least 3 layers of topcoat. You can use a brush to brush the topcoat on. It dries very fast, so this will take you maybe 1-2 hours top.
Cost $0, if you use the paint and topcoat from above.
The second tip is to add contact paper to cover the countertop. In case your countertop is chipped and you just want to cover it up, use contact paper.
Use a utility knife to make straight cuts around the sink and the back wall.
Here are some patterns which will look great:
Tip: If you add the contact paper make sure you use a blow dryer and warm the contact paper up a little bit. This makes it easier to bend around the corners.
In case the adhesive of the contact paper is not sticking very well, use this spray adhesive. Cost approx. $ 12.
The third tip is to spray paint the whole countertop and sink. My bathroom sink is plastic and looked pretty yellow. So I spray painted the sink but painted the countertop. If you have a calm hand, you can definitely spray paint the countertop also. Use this appliance spray paint.
For more tips on how to update a bathroom, also the linoleum floor, click right here: How to update an RV bathroom
Cost approx. $4.
It doesn’t need to be expensive to make a cool accent wall: 5 affordable RV updates you can easily do on your own
Make an accent wall with peel and stick wallpaper
Painting is not your thing? You just want to update the wall behind your bed or behind the dinette? The following patterns are pretty easy to work with but there are many more to choose from.
Peel and stick wallpaper is a fast and amazing looking transformation.
Here are some different patterns which look awesome:
If this pattern fits to your color scheme, it is going to look amazing.
Total cost to add one roll of peel and stick wallpaper starts at about $ 10 upward.
Want to know how to add a peel and stick wallpaper? How to apply peel and stick wallpaper
The last tip is
Add a rug to your RV
The costs are depending on what kind of rug you want to get and where you buy it. You can get really cheap rugs from the Dollar Store or something more durable from ruggable. This is where I bought my rug from, because it is washable. And this was the game changer for me. The dog and the hubby like to drag dirt inside the camper, and therefore this rug has to be easy to clean.
Here are some pretty looking rugs from Amazon:
More information about adding textiles and fabric is right here: How to make an RV cozy
Summary of 5 affordable RV updates you can easily do on your own
What do you think? Easy to do, or? Either one of the 5 tips is pretty cheap to copy. You can make it even more affordable if you check out thrift stores or the Dollar Store. And the chalk paint/milk paint can be used for many more little paint jobs. Like painting the trim around your slide or the entry door. Just start small and I promise you, you are not going to stop….
Here are the latest blog posts you should not miss to read:
- Best tips on how to pack an RV without the stress
- 5 affordable RV updates you can easily do on your own
- 51+ RV Must-haves and Camper Accessories you will definitely need
- How to update an RV bathroom the super-easy way
- 10 unforgettable RV Trips in the USA (for your Bucket List)
Hope you enjoyed this article,
I see you on the road,
Want to remember this article: 5 affordable RV updates you can easily do on your own? Just pin this image to your favorite Pinterest board: