Are you curious about how to make fast and easy Christmas Gifts? Do you love DIY as I do? There are so many fun ways to make special gifts and this tutorial shows you one of them. This is such an easy DIY of ‘How to make tea candle holders’, I am sure you are going to love it.
Giving has so much more meaning if you make things by yourself, if you add a special touch to it, give the present a meaning. So get ready for the fast and easy tutorial ‘How to make tea candle holders easy’ right here:
And if you need more gift ideas, here are the 10 best Christmas gifts for him: https://colorfuldesigner.com/10-best-christmas-gifts-for-him-diy-or-buy/
How to make tea candle holders – an easy DIY
Before you are planning on doing this DIY, make sure you eat a lot of joghurt and keep the containers. The plastic container is your form to pour the concrete in.
I bought the Portland Cement to make my little side tables and stools a couple of weeks ago. From this project I had half a bag of cement leftover. I wanted to use the rest of it and this is why I was experimenting with more concrete ideas. I am sure you’ve seen my side tables already. If not, here is how they look:
- Portland cement
- a bucket to mix the concrete
- empty plastic containers i.e. yoghurt containers or similar
- tea candles
- paint, different colors or / and
- spray paint
- frog tape
Here are the easy steps:
How do you start:
- Mix a batch of Portland cement with water and stir it well. Don’t make it too watery.
2. Use a spoon or something similar and add the cement into the plastic containers. Don’t fill it up to the rim completely, just about 3/4 full. Shake the container in between to make sure that the concrete is settled at the bottom and you have eliminated all air bubbles.
3. Center the tea candle and press it into the cement. Make sure you shake the container carefully to eliminate all the air bubbles, before you let it dry. Don’t skip this step.
4. With your finger or a spoon make the surface nice and even, smooth it out. The better you do this now, the less you have to sand.
5. Let it dry under a cover for at least 24 – 48 hours, depending on how big your container is.
6. Turn the container around and let it sit for an hour. The dried content should come out easily. If not, just cut the plastic container open and take the cement out.
Clean and sand the edges and make sure it is nice and smooth before you paint it.
How to make the tea candle holders pretty
Decide how you want to decorate them first. What is your color scheme? Is it for you or are you making gifts for friends and family? What are their favorite colors? Do you want to use them for Christmas decorations?
Then decide on the color or colors you want to paint them. If you want to add a pattern, use frog tape, or here I used Washi tape. The tape keeps the paint off. I like the pure concrete look in combination with metal, see for yourself.
You have a lot of options, if
- you want to paint it in one color only
- if you want to use tape to make a pattern like stripes
- or if you want to use different colors for painting
- or if you want to spray paint the candle holder.
I applied tape on these forms to keep some of the concrete looks before painting them. The containers I used had a pattern and therefore my concrete candle holder looks great with the pattern on it.
These candleholders are just painted in different colors, easy. And the good thing is if you don’t like it, just paint right over it again.
This one I spray painted in bronze and left one stripe in pure concrete.
And here are all of my little silver candle holders I made for Christmas. Combine them with other candles or other decor and it looks great.
Shop something similar
If you like the idea of cute candle holders but you just don’t have any time to do this DIY, here are some really pretty ones I found on Amazon. They are so cute and so reasonable to buy. Maybe that is something to consider too.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Summary of ‘How to make tea candle holders easy’
I made the concrete mix in one day and filled all of the plastic containers I collected over a couple of weeks. Then pressed the tea candles or little glass candle holders into the mix.
I let the concrete dry for 2 days, just to be sure they are all good to go.
After two days, I removed the plastic form and sanded the edges as smoothly as possible. Then I painted some of them and some of them I spray painted.
And this is it. It is easy to do and so cheap if you have the concrete sitting in your garage anyway. This is a great way of using leftover concrete or even if you buy a bag of concrete it is a cool giveaway. And I am sure everybody will appreciate it.
Try it out, it is a fun DIY also with the kids.
Hope to see you next week on the blog
Want to remember this? Pin this “how to make tea candle holders easy’ to your favorite DIY board.